CASE STUDYShare this
We created a new lighting scheme for a ‘Supernatural’ tour at the Real Mary King’s Close tourist attraction in Edinburgh.
Completion: October 2010
Client: The Real Mary King's Close Tour
- LED Par 64’s.
- Halogen tungsten floodlighting.
- Source 4 750W Fixed Beam Profiles.
- Animation Discs for above.
- Zero 88 Jester Lighting desks for localised control.
- Zero 88 Alphapacks for localised control.
- Par 16’s.
- Selecon Aureols with Beamshapers.
- Robe City Skape 48’s.
- 400W Coloured Discharge Floods.
- We walked the site and designed the lighting scheme to meet the brief. We needed to keep the power requirements of the lights low. We also had to minimize the amount of heat they produced to avoid fire hazards.
- We lit the main Close with an ultra-violet and blue/purple lighting scheme and used a lot of red up-lighting to achieve the desired effects.
- We used LED PAR Cans and CitySkapes and to meet the technical requirements of the job.
- Among the special effects we employed was a ‘flicker’ animation to give a ghostly feel.
Working to a strict budget, we added a dose of Halloween magic to The Real Mary King’s Close Tour, so meeting the client brief and enhancing the visitor experience.
The Real Mary King’s Close is a warren of underground streets and spaces that run off Edinburgh’s Royal Mile. Dating back to the 1600’s, it is of great historical importance. Visitors are led through the Close by a costumed character tour guide, whose persona is based on a one-time resident of the Close.
download file PDF (0.14mb)
View Case Studies
"It was great to be able to work with Stephen at Black Light who spent time touring the attraction to get to know our unusual setup and the subject matter of the fascinating Real Mary Kingâ€™s Close. A heritage attraction is not without its challenges, but Stephenâ€™s expertise and advice of what could be achieved within our budget really helped us create a Halloween atmosphere for our Supernatural History Tour with no disruption to the operation of the site. We are looking forward to working with Black Light again. "
Lisa Robsaw , The Real Mary Kingâ€™s Close Tour Company