CASE STUDYShare this
We helped light the BBC’s flagship religious programme, Songs of Praise, when it was broadcast from Scotland in April 2011.
Completion: April 2011
Location: Dunfermline and St Andrews
Client: Tern TV
- 40x selecon 1k Fresnels
- 20x Selecon 500w Fresnels
- 8 x Arri 2.5k Discharge Fresnels
- 25 x Arri 650w mini Red Heads
- 2 x Avolites 24 Art2000
- 1x Avolites Power cube
The producers of the show required our technicians to create a specific atmosphere at the two film locations and we had to make sure that all the required shots were properly lit. To meet this demanding brief we:
- Responded to the guidance provided by the Lighting Designer and worked alongside the rest of the production team to help bring the production together.
- Installed a self-supported lighting rig in both Dunfermline Abbey & St Salvators, St Andrews. We also supplied generators and all mains distribution - this work was signed off to the current regulations by one of our qualified electricians.
- Provided all the necessary lighting equipment and rigged it in such a way that it was hidden from the cameras and ‘out of shot’.
- Reacted promptly to any problems that arose and were ready to rapidly move any fixtures when required.
- The age of the Abbey and Chapel meant that we had to work very meticulously and we ensured that all the architecture was treated with the greatest care and respect.
Tern TV is a regular producer for the BBC’s Songs of Praise, producing episodes from all over Scotland. It provides high production values in music, lighting and direction coupled with innovative lightweight production techniques that deliver flexibility and variety.
Working together, our team and Tern TV made sure that the production was beautifully lit and that everything went to schedule. The high-quality results were there for everyone to see in the finished programme. The success of the project highlights our versatility, alongside our ability to work as part of a team, solve demanding technical challenges and meet tight deadlines.
download file PDF (0.21mb)
View Case Studies
+44 (0) 131 551 2337Send an Enquiry
"Just sending this e-mail to say a big thank you to your guys. They were absolutely magnificent: working long hours with a never ending sense of humour, always ready to do more and always very professional. They made sure that the job went smoothly and I am very grateful to them all. So please pass on my very sincere thanks and those of Tern TV to Calder, Martin, Calum & Stephen. I hope we can work together again. ."
Dennis Butcher, TV Lighting Director